This painting is part of a British Chinese collection amassed in China during the 1950s and 1960s.
Zhang Anzhi (1911-1990) was from Yangzhou of Jiangsu province. In 1928, Zhang was accepted to Central University of Education to study Fine Arts. His teachers were Xu Beihong, Pan Yuliang and Cai Renda. In 1931, he graduated from Nanjing Central University, and became a professor there. He was also a Research Associate at the Chongqing Academy of Fine Arts. In 1946, Zhang went to London, England, to train at the Courtauld Institute of Art. He had a stellar academic career, teaching in prestigious institutions like Beijing Normal University, Beijing Arts Teacher's College and the Central Academy of Fine Arts, where he was a tutor for the Ph.D courses for Chinese Paintings and Fine Arts.