FROM THE WANG FAMILY COLLECTION
Wang Jiezhi (1907-2003) was a native of Huai'an, Jiangsu. Wang worked at the Tianjin Cheng Fu Company and Jincheng Banking Corpoation, and was an avid collector of the arts. He became curatorial assistant at the Shanghai Research Institute of Culture, as well as a supporter of the Antiquities and Monuments group. His wife was Gao Zhu (1910-1996). As many important artworks surfaced in the market during the Sino-Japanese war, particularly at the Tianjin Antiques shops where Wang was working at the time, Wang pooled in all his money and resources to acquire old antiques and paintings to protect and preserve these artworks. The Wang family has twice donated part of their art collection to the Shanghai Art Museum.
In 1938, Wang, his wife as well as their daughter of a few months moved to their new residence at the British concession in Tianjin, Munan Road (also known as Hong Kong Road). Wang invited Zhang Daqian and Wu Hufan to paint these paintings to decorate their new place, which remained on their walls for over thirty years. Mr and Mrs. Wang passed down these paintings to their daughter and granddaughters, keeping them in the family for over seventy-four years spanning three generations.