This pair of angels originally flanked the pediment on the reredos (or screen) which stood behind the High Altar of St Paul's Cathedral in London. The reredos, which was designed by the celebrated Victorian architect George Frederick Bodley and constructed by the firm of Farmer and Brindley, was one of the most important decorative schemes of the age. It was the cause of much controversy when it was unveiled, when a group of conservative Protestants branded the monument superstitious and embarked on legal proceedings to have it removed. The reredos survived, and, in the wake of the court case, became a major visitor attraction. During the Blitz of 1940 it suffered wartime bomb damage necessitating its dismantling.