Franz Bergman established the foundry in Vienna, around 1885. The practice was continued by his son, Franz Xavier in 1894, who registered the well known stamp. Production was hampered by the depression on the 1930's and the business forced to close. It re-opened after World War II for a short spell until 1954 when it was taken over by Karl Fuhrmann & Co. Relatively little is recorded about the sculptors employed by the foundry, but C. Kauba is often credited with the creation of the American Indian bronzes.