Entitled Tachiani et Nedjébé, chevaux arabes, the present model, now known as L'Accolade, was first exhibited in wax at the Salon of 1852 (no. 1479). A bronze cast was exhibited the following year (no. 1440) and, along with two other works, the re-submitted wax won Mène a medal at the Paris Exposition universelle in 1855. Subsequently becoming one of the sculptor's most popular models, L'Accolade was cast in four sizes by the Susse foundry, 45, 35, 20 and 7 cm. high.
The Kaslinskii Factory was founded in 1747 by J. Korobkov, of Tula origin. The region was famous for the high quality of the iron, traditionally worked. From the early 19th Century, everyday objects were produced to very high standards and by the mid-19th Century some sculpture had begun to appear. The factory produced fine quality sculptures characterized by their smoothness and continuity of line.
(M. Dashkova, 'Iron Symphony of Ural', Collection, No. 38, March 2006, pp. 98-101.)