From the Estate of Dorothy and Marshall M. Reisman sold to Benefit the Reisman Charitable Foundation
Christie's is pleased to offer works from the Estate of Dorothy and Marshall M. Reisman in our Fall Impressionist & Modern Art Evening, Day and Works on Paper sales, Post-War & Contemporary Evening sale and Morning Session, and in our Spring sale of 20th Century Decorative Art and Design. Dorothy and Marshall M. Reisman owned the Wine Merchants, Ltd. Companies, located in New York, Ohio, and Florida, for more than fifty years. Their success in this industry enabled them to amass an astute and varied collection of Modern masterpieces by artists ranging from Joan Miró and Marc Chagall to Alexander Calder and George Nakashima.
Throughout their lives, the Reismans were passionate supporters of community organizations. Marshall Reisman was president, board member, and chairman of the Jewish Community Center and Temple Adeth Yeshurun, and was also on the board of trustees of the Crouse Irving Memorial Hospital Foundation, the Central New York Community Foundation, Cazenovia College, Syracuse State, and the Culinary Institute of America. It is therefore only fitting that the proceeds of these sales will benefit the Reisman Charitable Foundation and continue the Reisman's long cherished tradition of giving. The Dorothy and Marshall M. Reisman Foundation remains committed to using its resources to enhance quality of living throughout central New York through the support of local organizations.
Auguste Rodin (1840-1917)
Etude pour Le Secret
signed 'A. Rodin' (on the front); inscribed and dated 'c by Musée Rodin 1956' (on the right side); inscribed with foundry mark 'G Rudier Fondeur PARIS' (on the back); with raised signature 'A. Rodin' (on the underside)
bronze with brown and green patina
Height: 4¾ in. (12.1 cm.)
Conceived in 1910; this bronze version cast in 1956
Musée Rodin, Paris.
Roland, Browse & Delbanco, London (acquired from the above, February 1957).
World House Gallery, New York.
Acquired from the above by the late owners, April 1957.