Property from the Collection of Dr. Herbert Kayden and Dr. Gabrielle Reem
The celebrated Collection of Dr. Herbert Kayden and Dr. Gabrielle Reem includes prime examples of works by one of the great masters of twentieth-century sculpture, Jacques Lipchitz. The prolific artist, who worked across a wide range of media, primarily favored bronze. In 1909 at the age of 18, Lipchitz left his native city of Druskininkai, in present-day Lithuania, and moved to Paris to study at the Ecole des Beaux-Arts and the Académie Julian. There Lipchitz befriended Pablo Picasso, Juan Gris, Diego Rivera, and many of the other leading avant-garde artists living in Paris at that time. In 1914, inspired by the radical new artistic style he witnessed, he shifted away from classically inspired anatomical representation and began to integrate Cubist aesthetic principles into his work, quickly becoming one of the most prominent sculptors working in that style. He was able to brilliantly translate the abstract vision of objects deconstructed into a series of angular geometric planes into the three-dimensional realm. Even when working primarily with the Cubist vernacular, he always sought to imbue his constructions and sculptures with a human element by carefully balancing figuration with abstraction. By the early 1920s, Lipchitz was world-renowned. In 1922, the artist was commissioned by the preeminent American collector Dr. Albert C. Barnes to complete a series of seven limestone reliefs for his museum. Shortly after this major commission, Lipchitz began to favor increasingly more fluid forms in his work. The carefully curated Kayden Collection spans five decades of the artist’s work (1910-1970), and consists of works from the most important periods of Lipchitz’s prodigious oeuvre. As one of the finest private assemblies of Lipchitz’s works, the Kayden Collection amply displays the collectors’ passion, discerning eye for quality, cohesive sense of taste, and their personal relationship with the artist.