The Caledonian Hunt was a club composed of noblemen and country gentlemen with a passion for hunting in all its forms, as well as for good dining and good company.
Burns, a founder member of the Hunt, dedicated the first Edinburgh Edition of his Poems to the club. On 10th January 1787, the Hunt minutes read:
'A motion being made by the Earl of Glencairn, and seconded by Sir John Whitefoord in favour of Mr Burns, Ayrshire, who had dedicated the new edition of his poems to the Caledonian Hunt, the meeting was of the opinion that in consideration of his superior merit, as well as of the compliment paid to them, Mr Hogart should be directed to subscribe for one hundred copies in their name, for which he should pay Mr Burns #25, upon the publication of his book.'
Burns himself was enrolled as a member of the Caledonian Hunt on 16th April 1792.