The following two lots, 249 and 250, are signed by Albert H. Potter (1836-1908), one of the greatest watchmakers of the second half of the 19th century and, together with Charles Fasoldt, the most renowned American watchmaker.
Born in upstate New York, he started his career as an apprentice with the watch manufacture Wood & Foley in Albany, NY. In 1855 Potter established his own business in New York City and designed and manufactured watches, apparently not more than around 35 examples, but all of very high quality.
Despite his successful business, he moved to Havana in 1861 and launched a small but again flourishing watch making and repairing shop.
Following his return to the US in 1866, Potter spent several creative years during which he further improved his ideas and patented some. Between August and October 1875, he submitted five of his inventions to the US Patent office, including his trademark depicting the also patented compensation balance with auxiliary middle temperature error attachment, a safety barrel, the pivoted detent escapement and a watch plate design.
In 1875 Potter moved to Geneva where he produced the majority of his fine watches by implementing his ideas and inventions developed since the beginning of his career.
SIGNED ALBERT POTTER & CO., GENEVE, NO. 56, CIRCA 1882
Albert Potter. A fine 18K gold hunter case keyless lever watch with gold chain and agate fob
Signed Albert Potter & Co., Geneve, No. 56, circa 1882
With nickel-finished jewelled lever movement, Potter's unusual bridge design, bimetallic compensation balance, glazed dust cover, the white enamel dial with Roman numerals, blued steel moon-style hands, subsidiary seconds, in plain circular case with engraved initials to both sides, engraved inscription From W.H. Inman June 14th, 1882, together with a pink gold chain and oval gold-framed agate fob, case, dial and movement signed
52 mm. diam.