Accompanied by Charles Frodsham certificate of origin and fitted leather box stamped Charles Frodsham, 27 South Molton St., London.
The Frodsham archives detail that the movement was purchased from Victor Kullberg at a cost of 14 pounds and 16 shillings. The chronometer maker Victor Kullberg (1824 - 1890) set up business in England in 1856 and specialized in high precisionpocket and marine chronometers, which often excelled at the Greenwich Observatory and Kew trials.
Interestingly the archives further state that Frodsham charged 3 pounds and 3 shillings to "fashion" the cuvette for J.P. Morgan. The engraving reads "J. Pierpont Morgan, Jr., 1891". In 1891, J.P. Morgan Jr joined his father's firm of Drexel Morgan and Co., which later became J.P. Morgan & Co. The Morgan family purchased many watches throughout their history but their preferred watches for the most important occasions was always a Charles Frodsham. The present inscription confirms that it was indeed to commemorate Morgan Jr joining the family business and literally his "Golden Welcome". Thereafter all new incoming directors to the various Morgan banks receivedone of the Charles Frodsham/Morgan calibre watches; an openface minute repeating split seconds chronograph withtourbillon.
The only son of the famed financier J. Pierpont Morgan, Sr., J.P. Morgan Jr was born on September 7, 1867. Known as "Jack", he attended and graduated from Harvard in 1886. He acted as a great philanthropist, in keeping with his father's legacy. Jack also played a prominent role financing World War 1 with loans to England, France and Russia. He remained an Anglophile throughout his life and with his wife Jane Norton Grew, who he married in 1890, spent much of his time in England. Interestingly he donated his London residence at 14 Princes Gate to the United States for use as its embassy. It would later become home to the U.S. Ambassador to the Court of St. James, Joseph P. Kennedy and his family, including his son John, the future president of the United States. Morgan also founded the Pierpont Morgan library in 1924 as a hommage to his father.
We are indebted to Charles Frodsham & Co Ltd for their invaluable assistance with researching this watch.