The present watch features Oudin's highly unusual and rarely seen patented mnemonic dial, used to remember an event on a certain date and at a certain hour.
Charles Oudin, a renowned watchmaker and student of Breguet, established his workshop in Paris at the Palais Tribunat in 1804, then at the Galerie de Pierre from 1810-20. He was succeeded by his son who transferred the firm to Galerie Montpensier in 1830 and where it remained until 1840, then at Palais National by 1850 and finally Palais Royal in 1860.
Oudin watches are of high quality, comparable to those of Charles' famous teacher Breguet. In 1806, Charles Oudin patented a keyless winding mechanism, which he also presented at the Paris exhibition. The winding system of the present watch is based on this "brevet" but fitted with the further development of the stem hour setting. The cuvette bears the years of patents and the relevant exhibitions at which Oudin's watches participated, e.g. 1806, 1819, 1853 and 1855.