The following three lots, 338 to 340, are fine examples of watches made by the celebrated Dent & Co.
The firm E. Dent & Co. was originally founded by the English watchmaker Edward John Dent (1790 - 1853), renowned for his high quality pocket and marine chronometers, regulators as well as large clocks he made for the Royal Exchange and Westminster (Big Ben). He worked in the workshops of Vulliamy and Paul Philippe Barraud. In 1830 he went into partnership with the famous John Roger Arnold. When the partnership of "Arnold & Dent" expired in 1840, he established himself at 82 Strand (later moving to 61) and also took workshops at 33 Cockspur Street and inside the Royal Exchange.
After Edward John's death, the businesses were taken over by his stepsons Frederick and Richard, followed by their successors. The company's name was consequently changed to E. Dent & Co.
SIGNED DENT, LONDON, NO. 5619, STAMPED WITH LONDON DATE LETTER FOR 1839
Dent. A silver openface pocket chronometer
Signed Dent, London, No. 5619, stamped with London date letter for 1839
Gilt-finished chain fusée movement, Arnold spring detent escapement with detent set into the top plate, free sprung bimetallic compensation balance, helical hairspring, diamond endstone, white enamel dial, Roman numerals, subsidiary seconds, plain circular case, dial and movement signed and numbered, case stamped with casemaker's initials JD and London date letter for 1839
55.5 mm. diam.