For collectors it is always interesting to learn more about the history of a watch company as well as the history behind the particular piece on which the company has built its reputation. Eberhard & Co. is reputed for its early chronographs and the evolution of this function is just as interesting. Just over two years ago, Eberhard & Co. celebrated its 125th Anniversary. An incredible milestone for any company and in particular for a watch manufacture. Swiss watch manufactures who have stood this test of time have had to constantly innovate, improve and adapt.
Georges-Emile Eberhard founded the Manufacture d'Horlogerie Eberhard & Co. in 1887 in la Chaux-de-Fonds, Switzerland, at the age of 22. In 1919, the company presented its first wrist chronograph featuring a hinged case with articulated lugs on a strap. This early single button chronograph gave way for their improved version with 2 push buttons launched in 1935. This innovation allowed the wearer to start and stop the chronograph function without setting the timepiece back to zero. The 30's and 40's certainly was a golden era in the history of Eberhard and its chronograph production. In 1938 the company launched for the first time a chronograph wristwatch with an hour counter and a year later, in 1939, developed its first chronograph wristwatch featuring a flyback hand ("Rattrapante"), a device that enables double timekeeping. As the company evolved so did the functions of the chronograph and in 1947 the "Extra-fort" model was introduced. This improvement included a sliding pushbutton which measures intermediate times.
In the world of watchmaking Eberhard stands on its own and is characterised by its dedication to this art form.