Elgin National Watch Co., successor to the National Watch Co. of Chicago, was founded in 1864, right as the Civil War was coming to an end. Elgin finished its first watch in 1867. Like the Waltham Watch Company, Elgin mass produced high quality pocket watches using machines and interchangeable parts. Elgin sold watches under the names Elgin, Lord Elgin and Lady Elgin.
The present watch is elegant in it two-tone colored dial with gilt scroll device, further enhanced by the crisp abstract floral engraving design to the case.