According to the inscription on its cuvette, the present watch obtained a First Class Rating Certificate with a total of 238 points at a Besançon Observatory Pocket Chronometer Contest.
Its movement is furthermore stamped with the "Viper's Head", the symbol used by the Besançon Observatory to mark movements which had successfully passed the chronometer tests.
The Leroy dynasty of famous watchmakers was founded in 1751 by Charles Leroy, watchmaker to the King and renowned chronometer maker. After his death in 1771, the firm based at Paris' prestigious Palais Royal continued commerce under different leadership.
Louis Leroy, Horloger de la Marine, started as a watchmaker for the company in 1879 and took over the business with Jules Desfontaines, changing the firm's name to L. Leroy et Cie. Louis' brother Léon Leroy, who had joined in 1895, became partner in 1914.
Leroy watches participated in various exhibitions and were awarded numerous prices, especially at chronometer contests.