The present watch is a very fine example of a complicated timepiece made by Louis Audemars for his faithful client, the renowned Horloger de la Marine Charles Oudin in Paris, one of his main clients since around 1860.
It features Louis Audemars' early pendant winding and hand-setting mechanism, developed by Hector Audemars in 1838 (see Louis-Benjamin Audemars - His Life and Work by Hartmut Zantke, p. 131), and his counterpoised lever, also called "Bishop's crook lever" (p. 192, pl.T92, op. cit). The case is stamped with Louis Audemars' hallmarks consisting of a capital letter B in a shield for "Brassus", a lozenge-shaped cartouche with the double cross of Lorraine on a heart containing the capital letters "L.A." for Louis Audemars (p. 187, pl. T68, op. cit).