With Omega Extract from the Archives confirming the production of the present watch in 1948 and its delivery to Spain.
This Omega chronometer is an exclusive vintage oversized time only wristwatches making it a superb example for the Omega demanding collectors. Fitted with Omega's state-of-the-art calibre 30 T2 RG chronometer movement, it is housed in an impressively substantial oversized platinum case. One can only speculate about its cost so shortly after World War II but given the scarcity of this precious metal at the time it must have been astronomical.
Quite typical for platinum watches from the 1940s, the silvered dial is highlighted by diamond hour markers, a feature also known from the most distinguished Geneva manufacturers.
The famous calibre 30 mm., Omega's first movement produced in red gilt, was designed by Henri Kneuss, launched in 1939 and would mark the history of watchmaking for a quarter of a century.
The chronometer version of this movement, now called 30 T2 RG, the designation RG standing for "Regulation", was distinguished by the special index regulation. In design comparable to the standard 30 T2 calibres, the majority of the moving parts were however of much higher finish, conceived for participation at chronometer contests. Calibre 30 T2 RG beat numerous records at the Neuchtel, Geneva and Kew Observatory Contests and was considered the most precise wristwatch calibre ever tested. It continued to make its mark until 1967, the last year of the competitions.
Omega wristwatches featuring a calibre 30 T2 RG must be counted among the absolute elite of mid-twentieth-century "time only" wristwatches, combining historical and aesthetic appeal.
The calibre 30 T2 RG was the version featuring a small seconds at 6 o'clock; the version of this calibre with a centre seconds, as the present watch, was named 30 T2 SC RG.
For an illustration and description of calibre 30 T2 RG, including a design of the special index regulator, see Omega - A Journey Through Time by Marco Richon, p. 184.