With Patek Philippe Extract from the Archives confirming production of the present watch with silver-plated dial, laped gold hour markers and gold hands in 1946 and its subsequent sale on 17 March 1948.
Fresh to the market this watch is believed to one of only nine examples of the model in pink gold to appear in public to date, however the only one retailed by Gübelin. It is furthermore preserved in excellent overall condition, rendering it one of the best examples of a reference 1491 to be ofered at auction in recent years.
Reference 1491 was launched in 1940 and made in two versions, the first series with calibre 12'''120 and subsidiary seconds, the second as of 1943 with calibre 12 SC movement and sweep centre seconds. The model is distinguished by its highly decorative scroll lugs, demonstrating Patek Philippe avant-garde spirit by using varying shapes and forms, breaking away from the straight-forward circular shape with plain lugs. Inspiration from architecture, geometry and history created a new graciousness of form with rounded corners, stepped and triple-stepped forms and other elements, like scrolls.