Accompanied by Patek Philippe Extract from the Archives confirming production of the present watch with raised gold hour markers in 1951 and its subsequent sale on 28 May 1951.
Consigned by the original owner, this watch has never been offered at auction before.
Reference 1491 was launched in 1940 and made in two versions, the first series with calibre 12'''120 and subsidiary seconds, the second as of 1943 with calibre 12 SC movement and sweep centre seconds. The model is distinguished by its highly decorative scroll lugs, demonstrating Patek Philippe avant-garde spirit by using varying shapes and forms, breaking away from the straight-forward circular shape with plain lugs. Inspiration from architecture, geometry and history created a new graciousness of form with rounded corners, stepped and triple-stepped forms and other elements, like scrolls.