Accompanied by a Patek Philippe Extract from the Archives confirming production of the present watch in 1951 and its subsequent sale on October 22nd, 1953.
Patek Philippe produced the reference 1518 from 1941 until approximately 1954, and it was the first perpetual calendar chronograph to be manufactured in series by any firm worldwide. A total of only 281 examples were produced. The model was later replaced by the reference 2499, and has inspired the design for subsequent perpetual calendar chronographs. The reference 1518 is now a treasured and collectible timepiece, seen by many Patek Philippe connoisseurs as the crown jewel of their collection.
A distinguishing feature of this watch is the outer tachometer is calibrated for miles, rather than the more common metric tachometer. Last seen at auction in 1987, this watch is fresh to the market for the 21st century and it reappears in remarkable condition as when it was last seen publicly nearly 30 years ago. The full crisp lugs and short signature on the beautifully aging dial make this an extremely desirable watch for the discerning collector.
The inside of the case back is stamped Poinçon de Maître key 9, which is also known as a Collective Responsibility Mark. This stamp indicates the case was made by Emile Vichet S.A. in Geneva, a firm known for crafting very thin cases, and the cases for other complicated Patek Philippe watches.
Examples of reference 1518 are illustrated in Patek Philippe Wristwatches by M. Huber & A. Banbery, 1998, plate 386, page 231.
A similar reference 1518 with a tachometer graduated for miles is described and illustrated in Patek Philippe Museum - Patek Philippe Watches, Volume II, p. 302.