With Patek Philippe Extract from the Archives confirming production of the present watch with gold hour markers and tachometer scale in 1953 and its subsequent sale on 23 July 1955.
The particularity of the present watch is further enhanced by the unusual retailer's signature, Casa Welsch in Lima, Peru.
Since its launch in 1940, the desirability of the legendary reference 1463 has never ceased. Destined for a clientele in quest of an elegant yet sporty wristwatch, Patek Philippe's first chronograph model fitted with a water-resistant-type case and round chronograph buttons is as popular today as it was at the time of its introduction.
Few examples of Patek Philippe's landmark ref. 1463 are in so perfectly harmonious and appealing like the present example. Fresh to the international auction market, it combines a large number of highly attractive elements, each by itself a rarity and value-enhancing feature. Most importantly all these individual components fit so well together. The rose gold case and rose gold numerals and hands pair very well with the warm cream and champagne toned two-toned dial, but also from a design point of view the wide and generously proportioned hour markers go incredibly well with the solid and masculine case proportions. Few complicated vintage wristwatches can better echo the flamboyancy of the 1950's life-style than a gold ref. 1463 and the ultra-rare retailer's signature "Casa Welsch S. A. Lima" is completing a collector's journey to past decades and exotic markets which were once where Patek Philippe's most active clientele was once based.
G. WELSCH, EHNI Y CIA, FUNDADA EN 1858 was the Peruvian subsidiary of the German GEO EHNI & CO, specialized in the business of luxury watches, jewellery, porcelains, crystals, decoration, tobacco and handmade silverware.
In 1888, in one of his business trips to Lima, Mr. Wilhelm Ehni, CEO of the German corporation, participated in the creation of the Chamber of Commerce of Lima. Convinced that they had to reinforce their presence in Peru, at the end of the 19th century, GEO EHNI & CO decided to send to the Peruvian subsidiary the economic impulse needed to construct their new building. In 1906 the new construction was being inaugurated, probably being the first metallic structure in the whole country, brought directly from Germany.
Thanks to their important participation in the Republics Centenary, the company received an award in 1921. For these festivities, the firm ordered Longines watch company to produce 3000 pocket watches, showing the firm's desire to promote and encourage the watch business. Most notably they were Peru's most eminent retailers of the very distinguished Patek Philippe company.
After the World War II in 1947 the company changes its name to G. WELSCH SA, name that continues till today, next to its business name of Cabuchon. Since its foundation it has remained essentially a sole family business through their 150 years of existence.
Reference 1463 was launched in 1940 and remained in production until 1965. The majority was cased in yellow gold, some were cased in steel; examples in pink gold are rarest and were often reserved for the South American market, like the present watch.
The model is illustrated in Patek Philippe Wristwatches by Martin Huber & Alan Banbery, second edition, p. 267.