With Patek Philippe Extract from the Archives confirming production of the present watch with engine-turned back cover and fluted base band in 1889 its subsequent sale on 28 October 1890. It is thought to be the only jump hour watch with regulator dial made by Patek Philippe and retailed by Jaques & Marcus New York known to exist to date.
This watch is furthermore a very unusual and especially early example of a jump hour watch, made already in 1889. Jump hour watches, both pocket and wristwatches, were made only in an exceedingly small series and often to special order.
The first jump hour pocket watches appeared in the early 19th century but became particularly fashionable during the Art Deco period. Their simplicist layout harmonized perfectly with the purely decorative Art Deco style, seen as elegant, functional, and ultra modern.
During the "Roaring Twenties", pocket and wristwatches fitted with this unusual display were made by the most eminent makers, notably Patek Philippe, Audemars Piguet and Cartier.
To date, the only jump hour model produced in series by Patek Philippe is reference 3969, the commemorative tonneau-shaped wristwatch made for Patek Philippe's 150th anniversary in 1989 (see lot 311 in this auction).
According to the engraved inscription on the cuvette of this watch, it formerly belonged to John Harsen Rhoades Jr. (circa 1870-1943), son of John Harsen Rhoades (circa 1838-1906), the founder and president of the Greenwich Savings Bank who retired from business at the early age of 39. His son John Harsen Rhoades Jr. founded the investment bank Rhoades & Co. which merged with Carl M. Loeb & Co. in 1937 to become Loeb, Rhoades and later Shearson Lehman, a subsidiary of the American Express Company.
Marcus & Co.
The firm Jaques & Marcus, located at 857 Broadway in New York, USA, became Marcus & Co. when the second Marcus son joined his father and elder brother in the business. Renowned jewelers in the Art Nouveau style and retailers of Patek Philippe, Marcus & Co. later maintained another location on the corner of 45th Street and Fifth Avenue. In 1962 Marcus & Co. merged with Black, Starr & Frost. The new firm was subsequently purchased by Kay Jewelers, and then Sterling Inc.