Accompanied by Patek Philippe Extract from the Archives confirming production of the present watch in 1890 and its subsequent sale on 17 November 1890. According to the Extract it was sold with a half-hunter case and silver case. The workbooks however record a "rhabillage" or "repair/servicing" to the case in 1899 without stating any details; it can therefore safely be assumed that this intervention refers to the exchange of the case against the present one as well as the dial which had to match the renaissance style of the case.
To the best of our knowledge, this watch is the first and so far only example of such an unusual combination of a repoussé case with chronograph function known to appear in public to date.
Such Renaissance style cases were often designed by Georges Hantz, director of the Decorative Arts Museum in Geneva and renowned for his chased and engraved watch cases and moulds for embossing cases and stamping coins or medals.