Formerly the Property of T.A. Miller, Cuyahoga Falls, Ohio Concluding from the engraved inscription on the cuvette of the present watch, one can assume that its first owner was Theodore A. Miller, founder of Miller Tire and Rubber Company in Akron, Ohio.
The advent of the bicycle and automobile industries during the late 19th century caused the demand for pneumatic tires to skyrocket. Numerous rubber companies operated in or near Akron, Ohio, since then also known as the "Rubber Capital of the World". The most important rubber factories was B.F. Goodrich Company, the first US firm to manufacture pneumatic automobile tires.
Largely because of the massive expansion of the rubber industry, Akron was the fastest-growing city in the United States from 1910 to 1920, tripling in size at that time. Wealthy citizens started populating the neighbouring municipality of Cuyahoga Falls, escaping from the noise and fume of Akron's sprawling factory buildings.
Of considerable importance, Miller Tire and Rubber Company covered at one time nearly 400'000 square metres, equalling to the size of around 15 soccer fields. The company manufactured tires, tubes, accessories and repair materials, drug sundries, bathing wear, rubber balls and toys, and moulded rubber goods. In 1930, the firm was sold to B.F. Goodrich Co.
Interestingly, the celebrated actor Clark Gable briefly attended Akron University in Akron from 1919 to 1920. He studied medicine and spent his breaks working in the Miller Tire and Rubber Co.