The vendor informs us that according to family tradition this pistol was presented to her great grand uncle General Sir Archibald Hunter (6 September 1856 - 28 June 1936) by Kaiser Wilhelm II as a token of gratitude. The occasion leading to the gifting occurred on 19 November 1902 at Dalmeny whilst Hunter, then General Officer Commanding Scottish District, led the guard of honour as the Kaiser was returning to the imperial yacht Hohenzollern which was lying in the Firth of Forth. As the Regimental Colours of the Black Watch detachment were lowered, the horses attached to the Kaiser's carriage became panicked and began to back into the crowd. Hunter rushed forward, seized the horse's heads and brought them back under control of the postillions thus avoiding a serious incident although his actions were reported in the international press at the time. Following this meeting, and having gained the Kaiser's respect, Hunter was regularly invited to attend German military manoeuvres as a guest of Wilhelm and took up the invitation on at least one occasion.
Hunter led a distinguished military career having first taken a commission in the King's Own 4th Lancashire Regiment in 1875. He spent most of his service life away from home, taking part in Nile Expedition to relieve Gordon at Khartoum, campaigning in the Sudan in 1885-6 and again in 1889, was Governor of Dongola from 1892, and fought with distinction at Omdurman in 1898. He became part of Kitchener's inner circle and was known as his "sword arm". He was part of the Field Force sent from India to South Africa at the outbreak of the Second Boer War and was shut up in Ladysmith for the duration of the siege. He spent three years as Governor of Gibraltar and ended his military career as General Officer Commanding Aldershot Command in 1918.
The pistol was passed to the American branch of the family, descended from Hunter's twin brother, after the second war where it has remained until now.