John Piper produced several works depicting buildings in the Fawley Court estate which was close to his home. Some of the works, including The Dairy, Fawley Court, 1940 (Tate Gallery collection) were shown at Marlborough Gallery, in 'Georgian Arcadia', 16th September - 16th October 1987. In the accompanying catalogue Roger White, secretary of the Georgian Group (the Golden Jubilee of which was celebrated by the show) writes: 'Julian Freeman, owner of Fawley Court in the mid-18th century, designed his own mausoleum and also laid out a shrubbery walk between the house and the Thames, complete with a folly that is a mixture of Gothick ruin and domed classical rotunda'. Until relatively recently the folly also incorporated a carving from the 2nd-century BC Pergamon Altar.
We are very grateful to Rev. Dr Stephen Laird FSA for preparing this catalogue entry.