SIR CHARLES WINN AND NOSTELL PRIORY
Nostell Priory, West Yorkshire, is a Palladian House thought to have been designed in circa 1730 by Colonel James Moyser, and is based on Palladio's Villa Mocenigo. The building was supervised by James Paine from 1736, and in 1765, Robert Adam was commissioned to finish the interiors; he also added the family wing at the north-east corner of the house in 1779-80. The furnishing of Nostell is overwhelmingly associated with Sir Rowland Winn, 5th Baronet (1739-85) and his important patronage of arguably Britain's most important 18th century cabinet-maker, Thomas Chippendale (1718-1779). However, despite a period of 32 years when the house was effectively closed down from 1785-1817, the succession to the estate by Sir Charles Winn (d. 1874) in 1817 saw the advent of further work on the furnishing and interiors at Nostell and, as a result of his keen antiquarian and scholarly interests, he significantly added to the art, furniture and library collections at the house, when the present table was possibly acquired.