16,000 miles from new
1958 ROVER FOUR DOOR SALOON
Registration No. PJN 537
Chassis No. 600 800 707
Engine No. 600 800 806
Black with tan leather interior.
Engine: four cylinders in-line, 1997cc, overhead inlet, inclined side exhaust valves, 60bhp at 4000rpm, single SU carburettor; Clutch: single plate; Gearbox: four speed manual with freewheel; Brakes: servo assisted hydraulic drum; Suspension: Independent front with coil springs, semi-elliptic leaf springs to live rear axle; Right-hand drive.
The Rover company's history stretches well back into the last century, first as a sewing machine maker, then as builders of John Starley's revolutionary Safety Bicycle, the prototype of all modern cycles. In 1904 came the inevitable move into automobiles and in the mid-thirties, under the control of the very able Wilks family, Rover set out to appeal to the highly conservative professional middle classes of the day. Their slogan, 'One of Britian's Fine Cars', was suitably understated, but it was soon understood that it implied a certain care in manufacturing, tasteful, distinctive styling, refinement and smoothness on the road. The company prospered. Cautiously it introduced successive generations of improved designs, each derived from the previous range and indentified in the factory with the 'P' prefix.
In 1949 they announced their new P4 range. The first arrival was officially titled the 75, its rugged chassis clad by an up-to-date full-width bodyshell much influenced by the groundbreaking 1947/8 Studebakers and powered by an excellent six cylinder engine. The 75 went on to become the mainstay of the P4 range for a decade. As usual with Rover there were many variants, from the four cylinder 60 first seen in 1953, to the high performance 105S of 1956, before production finally ended in 1964 after well over 130,000 P4's had left the Solihull factory. Although it was intended to attract the interest of Rover owners who sought frugal fuel consumption and lower maintenence costs, the 60 was in no sense a 'poor relation'. It was as meticulously turned out and equipped as its six cylinder sisters. The docile engine was notably smooth. Rather lighter than the sixes, it was considered to give the 60 more nimble handling. Correctly used, the freewheel eased gearchanging and improved economy.
With a recorded mileage of some 16,000 miles, this highly original example may be said to be little more than 'nicely run-in'. It has been carefully stored for most of its life, being put back into service only last autumn. The black cellulose paintwork is described as in very good original condition, as are the brightwork, tan leather interior and polished wood cappings and fillets.
The car's service history is understood to be complete and the present owner comments that of the car's listed three owners, only two have driven it. The Rover carries an MOT until June 1998.
This Rover 60 represents an increasingly rare opportunity to acquire a pristine, original and well-maintained example of a distinguished marque.