The flagon is one of a series thought to have been made in Wigan during the 18th century. This example dates from 1750-70. A flagon with the same thumbpiece and handle decoration was exhibeted at the Currie Gallery in New England in 1974 and another is to be found at St. Asaph's Cathedral, North Wales. Several other similar flagons, with and without the large base, are still to be found in churches in Cumbria. It is not clear why the Germanic features of a double headed eagle and a putto should have been used by an English rural pewterer, and it is perhaps only speculation to suggest that these features may have been adopted from North Germany as a sign of respect for the Hanovarian succession. A similar flagon is illustrated in "Pewter of the Western World"., fig. 677.