1911 LION-PEUGEOT TYPE V2Y3 16HP SPORTS TWO-SEATER
Chassis No. 5173
Engine No. 3958
Olive green - for restoration
Engine: V-twin, 85mm x 150mm bore & stroke, 1,702cc (103ci.), water-cooled with side valves and magneto ignition; Gearbox: cone clutch, three speed and reverse gearbox, shaft drive; Suspension: half-elliptic leaf springs front and rear; Brakes: internal expanding brakes on rear wheels from right-hand side lever and transmission foot brake; Chassis: pressed steel, wheelbase 88½ inches, track 45 inches. Right hand drive.
Armand Peugeot of the long established engineering and bicycle making firm of Peugeot Frères in eastern France began building petrol-engined motor cars in 1890. By 1896 Armand had failed to convince his cousin and fellow director Eugène that making cars had a long term benefit for their firm and so he created the Société Anonyme des Automobiles Peugeot as a separate activity. The parting of the ways was amicable and in 1897 Armand established his own motor car works.
Despite Eugène's reservations, car production expanded rapidly and by 1900 Automobiles Peugeot had acquired an additional factory, opened a showroom in Paris and was making a substantial profit. Having made motorized bicycles and tricycles for some years, the original firm of Peugeot Frères decided by 1906 that making motor cars was a good thing after all. To avoid confusion with Automobiles Peugeot's products, but to maintain some familiar identity, the name Lion-Peugeot was adopted for the light cars made. A marked feature of Lion-Peugeot cars was the use of long stroke engines, initially in single-cylinder form, then V-twins and finally V-fours. A vigorous competition policy was pursued and Lion-Peugeots were successful in numerous voiturette races between 1907 and 1911.
The Peugeot family realized that with the two makes of Peugeot and Lion-Peugeot competing for sales, it was better to bring the whole motor car business into a single organization. The two companies merged in 1910 and the Lion prefix was soon dropped. However, as there were merits in the cars that each had been producing, some Lion-Peugeot designs continued to be made as Peugeots until 1915.
The sporting V2Y3 model clearly reflected the racing activities of Lion-Peugeot with its long stroke, high revving V-twin engine, raked steering column and the factory-made two-seater body with a bolster fuel tank behind. It was, however, shaft-driven, unlike the racing cars and its immediate predecessor (the V2Y2) of 1910. Peugeot claimed a top speed of 50 mph for the model and, although 215 examples were made in 1911, further production did not continue.
The Peugeot Sports Two-Seater on offer here is a mid restoration example. We understand that the car is very complete and includes many of the hard-to-find parts and hardware essential for finishing the restoration. The initial restoration was begun in the mid 1990s, although sadly the owner passed away and work on the car was halted. The bodywork, currently not fixed to the chassis, is finished in olive green and appears to be in good condition. The car is currently fitted with spoke wheels in need of tires. We understand from the car's initial restorer, Mr. Jan Voboril, that the car was largely complete prior to being placed in storage. All accompanying parts and items included in the sale of this Lion-Peugeot will be on display with the car during the pre-sale viewing. We encourage those interested to contact a member of the department prior to the sale for further information.