1911 POPE-HARTFORD MODEL W 50HP FIVE-PASSENGER FOUR DOOR TOURING COACHWORK BY FACTORY
Engine No. 7824
Purple Lake with black and black leather upholstery
Engine: four cylinder, overhead valve, 389.9ci, 50hp; Gearbox: four speed manual; Suspension: semi-elliptic leaf springs front and rear; Brakes: two wheel rear. Right hand drive.
Colonel Albert A. Pope made his fortune producing bicycles just before the turn of the century. However, Pope saw a tremendous future in the budding automobile industry and by 1903 the Pope Manufacturing Company was producing automobiles. By 1906 the company was manufacturing a wide range of automobiles of different types each through different factories: the Pope Waverly was an electric car and the Pope Tribune was a lower priced automobile. The Pope-Toledo, (made in Toledo, Ohio) and the Pope-Hartford, (made in Hartford, Connecticut) occupied the upper segment of the luxury market.
This 1911 Pope-Hartford, engine number 7824, is the only 50 horsepower Four Door Touring with original coachwork, and being a fifty horsepower makes it the most desirable. The automobile was discovered circa 1950 by a well known collector, the late Whitney Snyder, in an unrestored condition. Mr. Snyder restored the Pope-Hartford and participated in a number of touring events. Subsequently, the car went to the Indianapolis Speedway Museum, after which it was acquired by Pope guru, E.R. Bourne of San Diego, California. The car was then purchased by enthusiast Joel Naive of Montana who in turn sold it to the present owners in 1990.
The body and fenders are finished in Purple Lake with black reveals and gold pinstriping. The interior of the car was restored in black leather in 1995 by a master trimmer in black leather. The black cloth top, side curtains, boot and tonneau cover were redone in 1996 by the same master trimmer. The top irons and splash aprons are correctly covered with black patent leather.
The car has all the correct lamps and features dual side spares with a side trunk. It also has a rear trunk with the original rack and an under body storage compartment.
In 1998 the vendors undertook the following: a complete rebuild of the motor, transmission and entire braking system; new tires and wheels were installed and the hood and front fenders were repainted and blended to match the rest of the exterior of the automobile, which is in a very presentable overall condition.
Pope-Hartfords are revered today for their impressive performance and quality. The healthy sized engines, with just under 400 cubic inch displacement and massive overhead valves, proved to be very efficient and powerful motors. These reliable cars can easily and comfortably tour all day long in excess of 60mph.
This Pope-Hartford has most recently successfully completed the 3,500 mile Transcontinental Reliability Tour to Newfoundland in 1995, which confirms Pope-Hartford's claim to reliability even eighty years after production. This is an ideal high horsepower, brass era, original bodied Touring car that is eligible for all Horseless Carriage and Veteran Motor Car Club sponsored events.