1913 FIAT T52B TWELVE SEATER SHOOTING BRAKE
Registration No. LM 4978
Chassis No. 27490
Engine No. 1485
Maroon with buff interior
Right hand drive
From its formation in 1899 the Fabbrica Italiana Automobili Torino speedily became the most important engineering firm in Italy. Its vehicles became widely known abroad and Britain has always been a major Fiat stronghold. This most unusual and practical veteran machine is believed to have been used in the Farnborough area and later found its way into the important Sword Collection in Scotland. At the disposal sale in 1962 the Fiat was described, rather unfairly, as 'not very bonnie' yet achieved a healthy #200 (more, for example, than a 1916 38hp Pierce Arrow, 1920 Talbot Darracq 20hp Tourer, or even a 1923 Silver Ghost Saloon). It was bought by textile magnate Tibor Reich and stored by him at the Tiatsa Model Car Museum in Stratford-on Avon. Considerable mechanical restoration was accomplished at this time by Station Garage, Kineton. This rare vehicle passed to a new owner and embarked on a journey across the Alps for BBC Television's production of D H Lawrence's 'The Captain's Doll'.
After returning to England the Fiat has been painted in maroon. The electrical system is described as basic, but in running order. The engine has been removed and is presently dismantled. The crank and rods have been metalled, but the cylinder block is in need of specialist welding or replacing.
It is most unusual to find a shooting brake of this period with contemporary coachwork. This car has been dated by Fiat's Centro Storico in Turin and is eligible for many old vehicle activities both in the HCVS and VCC.