Gables Service Station
30 June 2005
1915 FORD MODEL T FOUR SEATER TOURER
Registration No. Not registered
Engine No. 905091
Black with black interior
Engine: four cylinders in line, side valves, 2,890 cc, 22bhp at 1800 rpm; Gearbox: two-speed and reverse epicyclic transmission; Suspension: beam front, live rear axle, transverse half-elliptic leaf-springs front and rear; Brakes: contracting band on transmission. Right hand drive.
The first Ford Ts came to Britain in 1909 in crated form, were assembled on the Thames side at Vauxhall and then sold from premises in Shaftsbury Avenue. Four hundred found customers in 1910 and the need for a proper assembly became paramount. A suitable factory was found on Trafford Park industrial estate that was close to the Manchester Ship Canal, with the additional benefit that the old-established coachbuilding firm of Scott Brothers was nearby and they contracted to make bodies for the cars. The business was fully operational by October 1911.
This right hand drive 'T' may well be from that production line, or an imported car made for this configuration market. Either way, it adheres to the standard coachwork style which arrived late in 1915, being the smaller bulkhead with semi-cowled bodywork, whilst retaining for the moment the brass radiator. Its engine number places it within the 1915 calendar year of production.
The 'T' is in the famed black livery, with black upholstery, the condition of these shows some age following an older restoration. Other 'T's within the collection have been made to run with brief fettling, so this should similarly be a case for straightforward re-commissioning.
Contact Client Service
New York +1 212 636 2000
London +44 (0)20 7839 9060
Asia +852 2760 1766
No VAT will be charged on the hammer price, but VAT at 17.5% will be added to the buyer's premium, which is invoiced on a VAT inclusive basis.
PurseBop outlines the four stages that mark the evolution of an Hermès connoisseur, and the bags that accompany each
Why the French Impressionist’s paintings of the Saint-Lazare train station are among his greatest achievements