1915 FORD MODEL 'T' TOWN CAR
Registration No. 6294 AM
Engine No. 727264
Red with yellow coachlining and black interior
Engine: four cylinders in line, side valves, 176.7 cubic inch (2890 cc), 22bhp at 1800 rpm; Gearbox: two-speed and reverse epicyclic transmission; Suspension: beam front, live rear axle, transverse half-elliptic leaf-springs front and rear; Brakes: contracting band on transmission. Right hand drive.
The Ford Model T appeared late in 1908 and thereafter the world's motor industries were never the same again. Small, weighing a mere 1500lb, but powered by a seemingly indestructible monobloc four-cylinder engine, it coped equally with paved city boulevards, dirt-roads, desert and jungle tracks, at a respectable 50 mph if need be. A basic Model T was affordable - $850 in 1910 for the four-seat tourer - but nothing was skimped. Henry Ford's mass-production methods brought economies of scale and he insisted on only the best steel alloys for construction. From the very beginning he took every care to ensure that wherever in the world one of them ventured, new parts, and somebody who knew how to bolt them on, were available. Not least of its appeal was the unique two pedal transmission, simplicity itself, with one pedal to go, another second to stop. 1915 Model 'T's were identifiable by their cowled firewall and for the first time electric headlights were now standard.
From the outset Ford offered a Town Car variant as one of its handful of bodywork styles, but they were always considerably more expensive than the standard tourers. In 1915 the difference was some $250 or over 50 accordingly the number produced was modest, they accounted for less than 1 of annual production with only 1,600-2,000 units built in an average year, and so few survive today.
This 'T' was originally supplied new through F.H. Peacock of Balham. It is better known for its later history during the 1970s when it was acquired by well-known Veteran Car Club stalwart George Evan-Cook O.B.E. and actively campaigned by him. Affectionately christened 'Florence' the car was a familiar sight on many VCC rallies and so was a natural choice for a feature illustration in Anthony Bird's Profile publication on the model, where it was profiled by artist Gordon Davies.
After George Evan-Cook, the car was sold and passed into the Sullivan collection in Hawaii. When the collection was disbanded and sold at public auction in 1990, it returned to the family of the former owner, but is now regrettably offered for sale owing to lack of recent use.
Since acquisition, the Ford has spent most of last decade undergoing a comprehensive restoration by a main Ford expert. Work carried out has included complete refurbishment of the interior in period button back leather style, as well as renewing of the leather Landaulette top, repainting of the chassis and bodywork, together with coach-lining of body, wheels and wings. The engine has been overhauled, as have the front and rear axles and the gearbox checked over. Today the car is back on the road and offered with a current MoT certificate.
This handsome and rare Town car is ready to use and comes with invoices for the work detailed above, as well as a copy of the Ford Model T Profile Publication.