1924 MORRIS 11.9HP TWO SEATER WITH DICKEY
Registration No. NY 5679
Chassis No. 49527
Engine No. 52725
Grey with grey fabric interior
Engine: four cylinder, side valve, monobloc, 1,548cc, 11.9hp; Gearbox: three speed manual with centre change; Suspension: front, semi-elliptic leaf spring, rear, three- quarter-elliptic leaf spring; Brakes: four wheel drum. Right-hand drive.
Morris was one of the great early success stories of the British Motor Industry. William Morris chose the Cowley Model name in honour of the Oxford suburb where his cars were built. By the mid 1920's the Morris Oxford and Cowley accounted for over forty percent of British car output. As befitted this popularity they were reliable, well made and competitively priced. In 1924 when this car was built, Morris cars accounted for 28.2 of all those built in the UK, the following year this peaked at an incredible 41
Throughout production a range of coachwork styles from four seater tourers with varying numbers of doors, to saloons, drophead or Doctor's Coupés, but one of the most popular derivatives was the two seater with dickey as offered for sale today. There were a wide range of additional options for the purchasers of these cars, but colour was not one of those, being limited to only blue or the grey of this car.
A modest file of documentation, buff log book, V5 and old MoT for this particular car provides some of its background history. A buff log book dating from 1937 reads as if the car was first registered in May 1932, but this is clearly erroneous since the actual number it bore then and still bears places the car within a four and a half year issue of 'NY' registrations given by Glamorgan County Council. Further, in fact from the chassis number it is possible to pin this number down to the month of May 1924 and this has been correctly noted on its more recent V5 registration document.
The car must have remained in Wales from new for by 1937 it was owned by Richard Mogg of Barry, Glamorgan, who it would seem was a doctor, since he is listed as being of Barry Accidad and Surgid Hospital. The logbook is frequently stamped through the immediate post war years, which suggests that perhaps it was used for Doctor's rounds or such like. In 1963 the car became the property of William Phelps of Cardiff, who retained it for at least eight years, through three addresses. An expired MoT certificate for 5th June 1978 places the car as still being in Wales at that time, but by July that year it had been sold to an English owner, Peter Hunt of Sudbury. It later moved south to Rayleigh and into the Sharpe collection.
This is one of the family's favourite cars, and accordingly it has been looked after, such that today it presents tidily and is in complete and running order.