1926 FORD MODEL T TOURER
Engine No. 13893640
Black with black upholstery and black vinyl hood
Engine: four cylinder, in-line, side valves, 2.9 liters, 22bhp; Gearbox; two speed epicyclic; Suspension: front and rear by transverse semi-elliptic leaf spring; Brakes: mechanical drum to rear. Left hand drive.
The world's first true mass-production car, Henry Ford's Model T, revolutionized the world on wheels. It first appeared in 1908, and was consistently the lowest priced, genuine automobile of its time. Ford's objective was to bring together lightness, strength, endurance and economy. From the beginning, the company's statements always emphasized that the Model T, although basic and rugged, was built of the very best materials and as Henry Ford himself often declared, contained features that could not be bettered by any other car at any other price. Using a logical and well-planned mass-production system, it was possible to cut cost to the bone while maintaining quality. The Model T was to remain in production for nearly two decades, selling an unprecedented 15 million units.
It was neither the largest nor the most powerful mass-production car of its time, but it was light and easy to handle. With its forgiving two speed planetary transmission, it possessed outstanding hill-climbing qualities. The Model T was not very fast in standard trim, but on its 3.64:1 rear axle ratio, could lope along at 40-45mph for hour after hour on paved highways. If its mechanism changed little over the years, the bodies were gently updated as times passed, with a great variety of new types introduced to widen the Model T's appeal. Its unchanging nature encouraged accessory makers, who promoted everything from luxury car style radiator shells to auxiliary transmissions. It is probable that without it, there would have been no 'Hot Rod' industry.
The specific history of this Ford Model T dates back to 1937 when it was acquired by Mr. George Lauder of Greenwich, Connecticut who stored it at his summer home on Martha's Vineyard until 1977. During this time we have learned that the car traveled no more than 200 miles since 1937. On November 2, 1977 the Model T was sold by Mr. Lauder to Griffin Ford of Greenwich who had the car delivered to Model T specialist, Mr. L.A. Douglas of Fairfield, CT. At this time Mr. Douglas performed a mechanical restoration of the car and later Griffin Ford refinished the interior and top. Given minimal rust but fading paint after the many years, Griffin Ford decided to repaint the Model T. Shortly thereafter, the Model T was acquired by its third Greenwich owner on May 17, 1979. It has remained an exceptionally well-cared for example in his fine stable of motor cars and is in excellent physical condition. Christie's has not tried to start or run the vehicle and would therefore recommend a full mechanical re-commissioning prior to use.