1927 BUGATTI TYPE 43
Chassis No. 43172
Engine No. 12
Blue with black leather trim.
Engine: straight-eight in two blocks of four, fixed heads with two inlet and one exhaust valve per cylinder, single overhead camshaft, built-up crankshaft running in five roller and ball bearings, roller big end bearings, Rootes type supercharger mounted horizontally and driven from the timing gear at engine speed, Solex carburettor under supercharger; Gearbox: four-speed manual: Suspension: front semi elliptic, hollow, forged axle and, rear quarter elliptic; Brakes: four wheel drum, cable operated; Wheels: Bugatti cast aluminium. Right-hand drive.
The late Hugh Conway, in his Bugatti tome "Bugatti - le pur sang des automobiles" writes - 'The Type 43 probably shares the distinction with the Brescia, the Type 35 GP and Type 57 in being one of the really great Bugatti models.' Certainly, the Type 43 was a sensation when it was unveiled in 1927. By basing the T43 on the Type 38 chassis, but fitted with a T35B 2.3 litre supercharged Grand Prix engine and alloy wheels from the GP cars, Bugatti created an exceptional road car for the day. The chassis was similar to the Type 38, but with slightly shorter wheelbase and retained the Type 38 radiator, gearbox, axles, steering and brakes. It was fitted with an exciting narrow, torpedo shaped Gran Sport body and was capable of 100mph and acceleration from 0-90mph in just over 30 seconds.
The Type 43 was, in consequence, an extremely competitive sports car for the 1920's and was extensively used for trials, hill climbs and track races. It became a frequent sight on the Brooklands Mountain circuit and a successful entrant in the Ulster TT and long distance races in the hands of some of the era's best drivers, such as Sir Malcolm Campbell and Earl Howe. Priced at £1,200 in 1927, the Type 43 was also expensive.
This particular Type 43 is in exceptional, original condition. It is fitted with the Molsheim four seater open bodywork, side mounted spare wheel, Marchal headlights and faultless Jaeger instruments. The Bugatti blue paintwork is excellent as is the black leather trim. Extensive details of the car's history are known starting from the original owner in Saint Didier who bought it in May 1927; in 1956 the T43 was found in the Bordeaux area when it was bought by well known collector Maurice Teisserenc and restored; he sold it in 1959 and the car eventually belonged to David Heimann in the United Kingdom from whence it went to the American collector, Thomas Perkins, (but stayed in Europe)from where it was sold to the present French owner in the mid-eighties. It is an exceptionally original, well documented example of one of Bugatti's masterpieces, offered for sale in outstanding condition; a rare find indeed. On the occasion of a recent test drive, the car performed faultlessly, making all the right noises. It comes with French documents.