1928 ROLLS-ROYCE 20HP LANDAULETTE
COACHWORK BY PARK WARD Body No. 3160
Registration No. PG 4016
Chassis No. GBM 30
Engine No. V3H
Engine: six cylinder in-line, pushrod overhead valve, 3,127cc; Gearbox: four speed manual, right-hand lever; Brakes: servo-assisted, mechanically operated four-wheel drum; Suspension: beam axle to front, live axle to rear, half elliptic springs all round. Right hand drive.
By 1926 the 20hp had undergone a number of revisions: there were four speeds and the gears were controlled by a right hand lever in a more traditional gate. Brakes on all four wheels came in at about the same time.
On test in April 1928, this chassis was supplied to coachbuilders Park Ward for fitting with 'Enclosed Landaulet' bodywork at the request of its first owner. The original specification is relatively standard, although note is made of provision for A,T revolution indicator and a Waltham Speedometer.
When completed on 9th June 1928, GBM 30 was delivered to R.E. D'Esterre, of Reigate, Surrey. It passed into the ownership of R.P. Rowlands of Wimpole Street, London on 5th June 1930 and upon his death 3 years later must have been sold though it is not noted to whom. By July 1938, the car was the property of Mrs. Horniman of Wanes Hotel, Worthing and no further note is made of its history until a record in July 1965 places the car with B.D. Norton, of Ramsden Heath, Nr. Billericay, Essex. As a local owner it would almost certainly have been purchased from him by the Sharpe Family.
From 1950 onwards its history is detailed in an old buff log book, which records the following owners: 1950, James Marshall from June for 1 month, then to Peter Smitherman and later Mrs Constance Kennedy of 78 Brook St. W1; the following year on 13th January the car passed to Charles Liddell or Crowthorne Berkshire, who kept it beyond a move to Chichester in 1952, until 1954; in April 1954 the car sold to Christopher Morgan-Cutts of Hillhead, Nr Fareham, Hants, then three months later to Harold Salt of Putney Heath; A year later it migrated closer to the cachement area of the Sharpe family, to a Stanley Scott of Olde Workhouse Yard, Great Dunmow. The log book indicates a familiar Essex stamping in December 1961, at which time it is thought to have passed into the collection.
After so many changes of hands, the car has now rested for four decades and never been used. It is offered with old buff and modern V5 document, together with copies of its original build sheets.