1933 RILEY 9hp LYNX SPORTS TOURER
Registration No. MG 2370
Chassis No. 6021031
Engine No. 44540
Red with red leather upholstery and trim
Engine: four cylinders in line, inclined overhead valves, 1,087cc, twin SU carburettors, 30bhp at 4500rpm; Gearbox: four speed manual; Suspension: beam axle to front, live rear axle, half elliptic springs front and rear; Brakes: four-wheel cable operated drum. Right hand drive.
Operating under the motto 'As old as the industry, as modern as the hour' by the time Riley introduced their trim Nine Monaco four-seater saloon in 1927, they had been building bicycles, tricycles, and motor cars for nearly three decades.
The 60mph Nine was a turning point for the company. Powered by a highly efficient 1087cc hemispsherical head engine, its four occupants accomodated neatly within the wheelbase, with four wheel brakes adjustable from the driver's seat, the Nine offered great controllability, refinement, precision in controls, an excellent gearbox, by 1933 with all helical constant-mesh gears. It was an immediate success and in the manner of the time at Riley, there was a host of variants, from the staid 1927 two-seater tourer, via Reid Railton and Parry Thomas's low-slung Brooklands Nine sports-racer, to the company's own sports tourers.
The aptly titled Lynx came along in 1932, its svelte two-door four seater open coachwork built in the company's own body shops. For 1933 it was mounted in a chassis with lowered centre section and larger cable operated brakes. With a hood arranged to lower into a concealed well, a well-stocked intstrument panel and, neatly executed leather interior trim with a wealth of appealing detail, a short gear lever operating in a tiny gate, and its fashionable, slightly sloped radiator, the Lynx was a beguiling mix of lively performance, economy and quality finish at a very keen price.
This example was purchased new by Lady Elizabeth Byng and originally registered on 15th March 1933. Photographs show the car in use during the war with painted white wings, and blocked out headlights, and shortly after this it was used by her son whilst at University as he awaited the two year delivery of a new MG. When the MG, his 21st Birthday present, arrived in late 1950/early 1951, the Riley was laid up and was not driven or licenced further.
Stored for a very long period, this like the other cars, is in need of full restoration, but once again it is substantially complete seemingly missing only a couple of instruments from the dashboard. Due to its completeness, and the availability of spares for these models the Riley therefore represents a straight forward project, which benefits from having many details such as the hood and trim, that will provide patterns for copying. In addition, the registration number was re-applied for when the initial road-licensing changes took place, so when completed it will retain its original number 'MG 2370' albeit perhaps more appropriate for an Abingdon product.
Sold with the car are the new V5 document, together with copy of the original log book and photographs of the car during the 1940's.