1935 LINCOLN MODEL K VICTORIA CONVERTIBLE
COACHWORK BY BRUNN
Chassis No. K3911
Engine No. K3576
Maroon with tan leather interior
Engine: V12, sidevalve 414ci. 150bhp at 2,400rpm; Gearbox: 3-speed manual; Suspension: semi-elliptic leaf springs; Brakes: four wheel drum. Left hand drive.
In his long career as a builder of automobiles and aero engines, Henry Leland had become something of a legend for his insistence on quality. Compromise was foreign to him; his Lincolns were engineering masterpieces - expensive, conservatively styled, but never fashionable. When the inevitable financial crisis struck in 1922, Lincoln was purchased by Henry Ford for $8 million. Another $12 million was spent sorting out the troubled company's financial affairs. For several seasons, Henry and his son Edsel left the big L-head V8 powered cars well alone. As competition became ever fiercer in the Depression years, Lincoln lagged increasingly behind sleek new designs from Cadillac, Chrysler and Packard. Edsel Ford was not a man to let that situation continue. When change came it was fundemental. The Lincoln Model K of 1932 had a powerful new sidevalve V12 engine, built to precision engineering standards to equal those of any competitor. It was a fine motor and received the cruciform braced chassis it deserved. In the following seasons, Edsel Ford, with his highly developed sense of design, pushed Lincoln to the forefront of luxury automobile styling.
Brunn and Company was founded by Hermann Brunn. Born into a coachbuilding family, he served an apprenticeship in his uncle's carriage company in Buffalo, New York then went off to gain experience and eventually returned to Buffalo where he established his own business. His handsome town cars and limousines attracted the attention of Henry Ford, who commissioned luxurious coachwork from Brunn for the Lincoln town cars kept for his use on his visits to New York. As demand for Lincolns grew, outstripping the factory's own body building capacity, Brunn was brought in, becoming a leading and influential coachwork supplier to Lincoln.
The convertible Victoria first appeared in about 1925 and evolved gradually through the late 20s. As interpreted by Brunn in the mid 1930s, it possessed an elegant simplicity. Top folded and with the two side windows wound down into the doors, it had all the presence of a phaeton, yet when closed, could be as comfortable as any sedan. By the 1935 season, Lincoln's 414ci. engine gave a seemingly-effortless 150bhp, enough to sweep most Lincolns, it was said, to 95mph.
This Brunn Victoria joined the Warshawsky collection in the early 1970s and Roy had the car fully restored to 100 point standard by Berkquist in Colorado . It was taken to many shows and often was a prize winner. At the Classic Car Club of America Grand Classic this vehicle won First Place in class. Mrs. Warshawsky fondly recalls one show with great amusement: She and Roy were standing beside the car on a golf course waiting for the judging to begin. Suddenly a wayward golf ball appeared and just missed them and hit the car! They also lost a point for the dent...The car today is a fine example of an older restoration that has generally held up very well. It would certainly make an ideal touring car.