London,The Jack Barclay Showroom
29 March 2004
1935 TALBOT 110 VANDEN PLAS TOURER
Reg No. CGP 128
Chassis No. BG 4509
Engine No. BG 5
Silver with Blue leather interior.
Engine: Six cylinder in-line, 3,377cc, Pushrod-operated vertical OHV; Gearbox: four-speed preselector, Wilson type; Suspension: semi-elliptic front with semi cantilever rear and Hartford friction shock absorbers; Brakes; four-wheel drum, cable operated.
Right hand drive.
Clement Talbot Ltd. had been producing cars in West London at Barlby Road, North Kensington since 1904 but following World War 1 became part of the Anglo-French STD-Sunbeam, Talbot, Darracq combine whose guiding light was Louis Coatalen. The British Talbot company was struggling by 1925 with outdated models and George Roesch was transferred from the French Talbot company in Paris to design a new range. The new car dubbed 14/45 was launched in 1926 and proved to be an immediate success. It was George Roesch's superb six-cylinder engine that provided such efficient power and although using a conventional type chassis did provide good roadholding and excellent brakes. The next stage was to increase the power and the first development was the 75 series providing 75bhp at 4,500 rpm from 2,276c.c. Chassis and brakes were suitably improved and sales were bouyant, much against the trend of other qualiy manufacturers who were suffering the effects of the economic depression.
The car we have on offer is a 1935 Talbot 110 Speed Tourer and was the ultimate development of the famous line of Roesch designed Talbots. First registered on the 15th October 1935 and displayed on the 1935 Olympia show stand that year. A Warwick Wright of Bond Street suppliers plate is still attached to the dash. Later road tested at Brooklands by the magazine 'Motor' where it achieved 94 m.p.h. in May 1936. Having had only four owners from new this car last changed hands in 1973 when purchased from a Mr Maurice Oswald-Jones of Horsmonden who in turn purchased the car in 1951. It has a 3,377cc 6 cylinder engine producing 120bhp. The four seater convertible coachwork was built by well-known coachbuilders Vanden Plas and has benefitted from a complete restoration completed in 1987. Its pedigree of design providing silky smooth performance coupled to excellent roadholding and brakes will provide its new owner with immense pleasure, and be totally compatable with modern day motoring. Offered in well-maintained condition with full weather equipment. The car has a current MoT certificate, and a file of history including restoration receipts and an original copy of 'The Motor' dated July 28 1936 featuring the actual car.
Contact Client Service
New York +1 212 636 2000
London +44 (0)20 7839 9060
Asia +852 2760 1766
No VAT will be charged on the hammer price, but VAT at 17.5% will be added to the buyer's premium which is invoiced on a VAT inclusive basis
Ahead of Christie's inaugural European Paintings auction on 31 October, Arne Everwijn discusses Courbet’s radical nudes
Christie’s Islamic Art specialist Xavier Fournier explains all you need to know about these exquisite embroidered panels