1936 ROLLS-ROYCE 20/25hp SEDANCA DE VILLE
COACHWORK BY WINDOVERS
Registration No. CFX 325
Chassis No. GBK 42
Engine No. J 28 R
Cream and brown with black leather and fawn cloth interior
Engine: straight-six, overhead valve, 3699cc; Gearbox: four speed manual with side change and synchromesh on top ratios; Suspension: beam front, live rear with semi-elliptic leaf springs front and rear; Brakes: four wheel mechanically-operated servo-assisted drum. Right hand drive.
In November 1935, the Maharajah of Rajpipla ordered this chassis from the Rolls-Royce works and it was sent to Windovers to be fitted with Sedanca coachwork to a design by Vanden Plas. The Windovers order notes the bodywork to have seating for 6/7 persons, facilitated by sideway type occasional seats, a one piece opening windscreen, and the luggage accommodation merged into the coachwork. The interior was to be trimmed with rope pulls, Pullman arm-rests to front and rear compartments, pockets to the front doors, and front sun visor. Fittings were to be untarnishable, the glass Triplex throughout, and in addition it was requested that private locks be fitted to the nearside door handles, and traffic indicators be set into the centre pillars.
It is clear that the 20/25 was completed exactly to its ordered specification, as today it retains all of these details, yet strangely despite such itemised requests when the finished car was delivered to Windovers' Conduit St Showrooms in mid-May, the order was cancelled and the car reverted to stock. The Maharajah's loss was the gain of a Mr R.J Mackenzie of Elgin, who purchased it eleven days later.
The car's history is charted through the Rolls-Royce records, becoming the property of a Robert McGlone of Hendon in 1945, then later Herbert Baber of Bringsty, Worcs. in 1958, and then by its buff log book, changing hands just twice more before acquisition by the collection in 1980.
When purchased, a ground up restoration was undertaken which is recorded by photographs which are offered with the car. It was repainted in the present cream and brown livery which complements its coachlines admirably, and reupholstered by Chisholm (Trimming) Limited, in addition to the original detailed specification, the well-appointed rear compartment now features smokers'-companions, and sliding mirror panels in the quarter lights.
Since then car has been used regularly, and its restoration mellowed with age, the result today is a very charming, handsome, and practical Sedanca.
It is sold with paperwork and photographs as detailed above, together with some correspondence and ready to use with current MoT and road fund licence. (2)