1936 ROLLS-ROYCE 25/30hp FOUR SEATER OPEN TOURER
Registration No. AWD 419
Chassis No. GTL 65
Engine No. C 27 A
White with black wings and red leather interior
Engine: six cylinder over head valve, 4,257cc (29.4hp RAC rating); Gearbox: four speed with sychromesh on third and top; Suspension: semi-elliptic leaf springs front and rear; Brakes: internal expanding, servo operated, four wheel drum brakes. Right hand drive.
Introduced at the 1936 Motor Show, the Rolls-Royce 25/30hp model was a development of the earlier 20hp and 20/25hp. As had occurred with its predecessor, a further increase was made to the engine capacity which rose by just over half a litre to 4,257cc, carburetion was simplified and the fuel was supplied by twin SU pumps rather than the 20/25's Autovac system. Steering was also improved by adapting a cam and roller system and the new model was also fitted with adjustable ride control shock absorbers operated from the dashboard. The 25/30 was noticeably faster than the previous model and had a top speed of around 80mph, being capable of cruising happily at 60mph or more.
This 25/30hp was sold new in summer 1936, wearing saloon coachwork of a six light design by Thrupp and Maberly. Its first owner, Mr. W.L. Barber purchased the Rolls-Royce through George Heath Ltd. of Birmingham and it was in this area that the car would first change hands again. However by 1944, the car was in the London area being recorded with G.A. Geer & Co. of Hanworth, Middlesex and later to a Mr Tanner of Wood Lane Shepherds Bush. Beyond this period there is little known of the car's history, and so it is not certain when its original coachwork was lost.
The attractive, well-proportioned and practical touring bodywork that the car has today was built by specialists in the early 1980s. A photograph taken during its restoration confirms this to have been constructed to a high standard, and it is evident that careful consideration taken to ensure that the line of the coachwork was of a period style. Practicality was also been catered for, with a full length hood, and fold-down auster screen to make the Rolls suitably equipped for touring. The restoration would appear to have been completed in 1984, when it was newly MoT tested. In a file of history with the car, expired test certificates confirm that it has seen regular annual use since then.
The tourer has resided in its present ownership for more than a decade, throughout this time it has been maintained by factory trained specialists, and the vendor reports it to have always been reliable. It is current road fund licenced and has an MoT. As such this is an eminently usable small horsepower Rolls-Royce, which would provide an excellent entry to club events.
A full set of copy factory record cards, expired MoTs, and other documentation comes with the car, including invoices for maintenance totalling £4,500.