Gables Service Station
1 July 2005
This lot is offered without a reserve
1938 BSA SCOUT SERIES V TWO SEATER SPORTS
Registration No. BTR 929
Chassis No. E1630
Engine No. A2840
Red with red fabric interior
Engine: four cylinders, in-line, 1,203cc, 32bhp; Gearbox: front-wheel drive, wet plate clutch, three-speed manual, worm final drive; Suspension: independent front with transverse leaf springs, solid rear axle with semi-elliptic leaf springs; Brakes: four-wheel mechanically operated drum. Right hand drive.
As the Daimler company's budget offshoot, BSA specialized in carefully built, easy to drive small family saloons. In 1930 they brought out a well designed front wheel drive tricar to exploit various English fiscal and other breaks. In 1936 this had evolved into the four wheeled, front-drive 9hp (the Nine) Scout, a trim little two-seater sports car with 1,074cc four cylinder side-valve engine of 26bhp. In 1937 there was a 1,203cc 32bhp 10hp (the Ten) Scout with a top speed claimed to be over 65mph. The Nine had a neat floor gear shift, the Ten sported one emerging from the dash panel. With fold-flat windscreen and neatly finished cockpit, the brisk Scout was made in six series and sold well until the outbreak of war in 1939 brought English car production to a halt.
This is an example of the fifth series of these cars, which had a slightly wider front track than its predecessors. The Scout retains an old continuation buff log book from which we have been able to ascertain that the car was originally registered on 31st May 1938. Its 'BTR' prefix places the location of its first owner as having been in the Borough of Southampton County Council.
By the early 1960s the car had moved to Essex and in 1964 is recorded Christopher Coon of Braemar Crescent, Leigh-on-Sea. On 10th February 1967 it sold locally to Alan Brooks and then later to Philip Rawcliffe of Westcliffe. Its date of acquisition by the Sharpe Family is not known, but we feel that it is likely to have been that same year, as the car still retains an MoT certificate (long since expired), being dated May 1966 issued by Leigh Car Accessories Ltd.
It is understood that the BSA has been in storage for more than 20 years and consequently it is in need of a thorough and sympathetic restoration. However it is interesting to note that upon retrieving from storage the car was checked over briefly and started easily, but should be noted that it is missing its exhaust system.
Contact Client Service
New York +1 212 636 2000
London +44 (0)20 7839 9060
Asia +852 2760 1766
This lot is offered without reserve.No VAT will be charged on the hammer price, but VAT at 17.5% will be added to the buyer's premium, which is invoiced on a VAT inclusive basis.
An exceptional example of the most valuable illustrated book ever produced — and an icon of American art — will be offered on 14 June to benefit conservation causes
An expert introduction to Bulgari rings, bracelets, necklaces and watches, including cutting-edge concepts such as the Trombino ring and the Serpenti bracelet-watch