Gables Service Station
1 July 2005
This lot is offered without a reserve
1938 MORRIS 8HP SALOON
Registration No. EXT 49
Chassis No. S2/E170616
Engine No. 167011
Green with black wings and green fabric interior
Engine: four cylinders, side valve, single SU carburettor, 918cc, 23.5bhp at 4,000rpm; Gearbox: manual three speed, synchromesh on 2nd and top; Suspension: beam front axle, live rear axle, half elliptic leaf springs all round; Brakes: four-wheel hydraulically operated drum. Right hand drive.
This is a later example of the Series II Morris Eight as explained in the description for the Sharpe's 1937 car, EGW 342. 'EXT 49' benefits from having a continuation log book from which we are able to confirm that it was first registered on 20th April 1938 and that it was in those days a London based car.
By the time of the issue of the log book on 30th January 1967, the car had left the city and was now based locally to the Sharpe Family in St Peter's Road, Chelmsford. Together with the log book is an MoT dated 20th January 1967 and issued in Cambridge, so it may well be that the owner at that time, Mr James Hook had recently acquired the car and that he was responsible for bringing the car to Essex. It was later purchased by the Sharpes.
Although certainly on the road in the late 1960s, sadly today, the car is in extremely poor order following long term barn storage. Whilst seeming entirely complete and retaining its original engine, the car is quite literally a "barn discovery" and in need of comprehensive work to return it to the road.
Contact Client Service
New York +1 212 636 2000
London +44 (0)20 7839 9060
Asia +852 2760 1766
This lot is offered without reserve.No VAT will be charged on the hammer price, but VAT at 17.5% will be added to the buyer's premium, which is invoiced on a VAT inclusive basis.
Ahead of an online sale that honours their close bond, Meredith Etherington-Smith traces the roots of a 40-year collaboration
The artist tells us about his meticulous recreation of a child’s toy in a work that became an instant icon when it debuted at the Whitney Museum in New York in 2014