1940 CADILLAC SERIES 40-75 V8 TOWN CAR
COACHWORK BY FLEETWOOD
Chassis No. Tba
Engine No. Tba
Blue with dark blue leather and light grey cloth interior
Engine: 90 degree V8, 346 cu.ins., 150bhp at 3,600 rpm; Gearbox: three speed selective, synchro transmission; Suspension: front coil and rear semi-elliptic leaf springs; Brakes: four wheel hydraulic drum. Left hand drive
The 1940 production saw Cadillac continue their 'projectile' or 'torpedo' body-styling of the previous year, but on the V8s the grille was slightly revised with less bars of bolder heavier design and the introduction of a pair of louver bars on the side panels of the hood.
By now sealed beam headlights were standard as were turn indicators, running boards were offered as no cost options, and the engine inlet manifold was set at five degrees to the engine to cancel its rearward tilt and give more balanced fuel supply.
As ever, Cadillac offered a host of V8 models on five different wheelbase lengths, ranging from 127 inch Sixty Special sedan to the 141 inch Series 40-75. It is believed that Cadillac built just fourteen Town cars to this Fleetwood style designation #7553, in 1940, and they were by far the most expensive eight cylinder model offered, priced at $5115, and so may be considered the top of the range. This example is very much the definitive pre-war V8 Cadillac with available options including twin side-mounts, which would be discontinued after that season.
Harris Laskey discovered and purchased this Cadillac Fleetwood Town Car in 1987. He decided to undertake a full, frame-off restoration in meticulous detail; and with no expense spared, the results are simply stunning, restoring it to the concours order it presents today. This work extended from tireless searches, such as the correct running board end pieces, the special Fleetwood etched side mounted rear- view mirrors, to the careful choice of special-blended blue paintwork and the dyed grained leather for the driver's section top and rear covering.
When acquired, the odometer registered 32,000 miles and it has covered only a limited mileage since.
The interior, both front and rear compartments are beautifully appointed. On the front split seating is deep blue leather with matching deep blue carpet. The dash is beautifully wood grained with various unique features, including a radio and a clock placed in front of the passenger seat. The Bakelite steering wheel and gearshift knob, the black ebony insert in the door handles add to the fine details that took place during the restoration.
The rear interior, the twin occasional seats and footrests are sumptuously trimmed in blue-gray cloth with a matching headliner. The carpet was specially matched too. It has a host of fittings, such as side heaters, a central Fleetwood clock, and to each side of the passengers are pop-out companions in period Art Deco style with green topped cigarette lighters. There is also a working intercom to instruct the driver. For privacy, blinds are fitted to each rear window. Wood veneer trims complete the presentation. This town car is a true example of luxury.
As the story is told, this Cadillac once belonged to a wealthy woman whose family owned a coal company in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania. During the early years of the 1940s, she sold the car to a pharmacy for their use as a delivery vehicle. The young deliveryman, who at the time was attending medical school, purchased this Cadillac as a graduation present to himself. He kept it garaged for many years. Harris Laskey discovered this car and purchased it from his estate.
A Premier Senior Winner and a National First Prize Winner CCCA Award badge are permanently affixed and is a testimony to the fine restoration.
Harris Laskey has shown the Cadillac at numerous concours events. Winning the "Most Elegant" at the Santa Barbara Concours D'Elegance and at the Pebble Beach Concours D'Elegance, where it won a Second Place in its class.
As one of the most desirable examples of Fleetwood Town Cars, the opportunity to purchase this rare and beautiful car is ideal for someone who wants to relive the glorious days.