1950 ALLARD P-TYPE TWO DOOR SALOON
Registration No. KRU 622
Chassis No. P1 1893
Engine No. tba
Cream with brown leather interior.
Engine: Ford Pilot V8, 3.6 litre, sidevalve with twin downdraught carburetters, 85bhp at 3800rpm; Clutch: single plate; Gearbox: three-speed manual; Suspension: transverse leaf springs to divided front and live rear axle; Brakes hydraulically operated drum all round. Right-hand drive.
Although a four-seater saloon was announced as part of that very first Allard Motor Company range in 1946, full-scale production did not get under way until 1949, when the car which actually emerged was a fairly luxurious five seater. The saloon shared with the open four seaters the long-wheelbase chassis devised by Allard, with initially the 3.6 Ford Pilot sidevalve engine, three-speed gearbox, and split-axle independent front suspension. Equipped with a bulky two-door body built in the traditional coachbuilder's way with a wooden frame, the P-type was given light alloy body panelling to hold the weight down. The result was a perfectly acceptable power-to-weight ratio and the big saloon went about its business in an effortless sort of way, displaying the sweeping top gear acceleration that was now an Allard hallmark. Its performance potential in the hands of a capable driver was underlined when Sydney Allard, navigated by Tom Lush, won the 1952 Monte Carlo Rally outright in exceptionally severe winter conditions. Altogether some 800 P saloons were built, making it the most popular of all Allards.
The cabin of the saloon was quietly luxurious, with a wide leather trimmed split bench seat with a divided back that folded forwards for rear seat access. There was a steering column gear change, a hand throttle and the now expected black on white instruments. For rear seat occupants there were such thoughtful touches as illuminated ash trays and a rear window roller blind. The Autocar testers rather liked it, 'simplicity of design is an attractive feature and one of the unusual points in a car capable of high performance'.
This particular P-type saloon was delivered to its first owner in Bournemouth in December 1950. It passed into the hands of the present owner in 1984. It is now in generally sound condition, with good original leather upholstery, well-preserved head lining and an unrestored but tidy engine bay. This Allard saloon, very much to original specification, represents an older restoration; the car's appearance would be enhanced by a quality respray. It is understood to drive well and will be provided with a current MOT certificate before the sale. The knave plates (wheel trims) are missing, but otherwise it appears complete and has the useful feature of a working heater.