1950 BENTLEY MARK VI STANDARD SPORTS SALOON
Chassis No. B87LFU
Engine No. B293F
Black with beige leather interior
Engine: six cylinder, in-line, 4,257cc, overhead valve, 135bhp at 4,000rpm; Gearbox: four-speed manual, column lever; Suspension: independent by coil springs and wishbones with lever arm hydraulic dampers to front, live axle with half-elliptic springs and adjustable lever arm hydraulic dampers to rear; Brakes: four wheel drum, hydraulically operated to front, mechanical with servo to rear. Left hand drive.
The first post-War Bentley Mark VI launched in May 1946 was, in comparison with its pre-War counterparts, an entirely new departure both in engineering and design and was to set the basis for all future models. In production numbers it was almost mass-produced, with over 5,000 cars leaving the production line between 1946 and 1952 compared with 2,500 units of the 3½ liter and 4¼ liter models produced between 1932 and 1939. The car was compact in design and very much a driver's vehicle with a comprehensive interior specification which included heater and de-misters, leather upholstery, radio, picnic tables, vanity mirrors and reading lights. The distinctive radiator carried a forward sloping winged 'B' fixed to a dummy radiator cap.
The revised 4¼ liter now had an F-type alloy cylinder head and featured belt-driven dynamo and water pump. The engine gave a healthy 135bhp at 4,000rpm, provided quick acceleration with 0 to 50 in 12 seconds and a top speed of nearly 100mph.
The Mark VI offered here today was originally delivered by J.S. Inskip, Inc. of New York City to William Durant Campbell of New York City, New York and Southern Pines, North Carolina. Mr. Campbell was a noted philanthropist and grandson of General Motors founder, William C. Durant. Special options noted on the Bentley build-sheet include sealed beam headlights and locks on the bonnet. Now offered by only its third owner, the Mark VI is presented in original condition. Having been repainted once many years ago, the exterior shows some wear but is very presentable. The seat backs have been replaced while the balance of the original interior remains, including a factory-issued radio. It retains a rare, full set of tools tucked away in the dash. Service records dating back to 1968 from Albers Rolls-Royce of Indianapolis, Indiana provide history to the careful attention this Mark VI has received. Having been purchased at Christie's auction in Monterey of 2004 this example deserves close inspection.