1950 JAGUAR XK120 ROADSTER
Chassis No. 670426
Engine No. W1827-8
Old English white with red leather upholstery
Engine: six cylinder, in-line, double overhead camshaft, 3,422cc., 160bhp at 5,250rpm; Gearbox: four-speed manual; Suspension: front - independent with double wishbones and longitudinal torsion bars, rear - live axle, semi-elliptic leaf springs; Brakes: hydraulic four wheel drum. Left hand drive.
Few cars remain as instantly recognizable as the Jaguar XK120; its graceful and all-enveloping shape influenced the changing design of post-war sports cars. Introduced as a roadster in 1948 at the Earls Court Motor Show, it revolutionized the world's sports car market by providing a genuine 120mph sports/touring car. The superb twin-cam six cylinder engine became a mainstay of all future Jaguar products, and provided five Le Mans 24-hour victories between 1951 and 1957. Competition successes and the 126.45mph (133.5 without windscreen) achieved by 'Soapy' Sutton on the Belgian Autoroute all served to increase the demand for the car, which did not become available until the 1950s. Even then, the world export demand was so great that the first home market sales in any quantity did not materialize until 1951. The development and production of the seductive XK120 ushered in a new beginning for Jaguar.
This classic Jaguar roadster has a comprehensive and well-documented history. Its Heritage Certificate confirms that the car was built on July 6th, 1950 and was sold through the New York distributor, Max Hoffman. When first sold it was painted silver with red leather upholstery and had a French Grey top. To this day it retains its original engine with both head and block numbers matching. From March 1967 to the present time each owner is known and a large file of paperwork traces its service history, restoration work and changes of ownership including copies of old titles and registrations.
In March 1968 the Jaguar was returned to Coventry, England for a major overhaul. The engine was removed and re-conditioned, and all the other mechanical components such as gearbox, brakes, shock absorbers and springs were attended to. At the time this work cost a mere £200! From 1976 until 1993 the car was under the ownership of Mr. John Keating. In the late 1980s a major restoration was undertaken over three years at a cost in excess of $25,000, substantiated by the large file of receipts. In 1993 the vehicle changed hands and a further $7,000 was spent on a stainless steel exhaust system, renewing the top frame and a new top, tonneau cover and side curtains. In 1994 and 1995 the car was judged in JCNA events and took a high score of 98.58 points. The current owner acquired the car in 1996 and has continued to keep the car well maintained and fully serviced when necessary.
Today the car is still highly presentable, although naturally the restoration from 13 years ago has now mellowed slightly. For instance there are some minor blemishes and cracks in the paintwork upon very close inspection. The car comes with the aforementioned weather equipment and also has its correct jack, wheel brace and tool roll as well as an original handbook. Upon a recent inspection, the engine sounded very healthy and showed a good 60psi of oil pressure. With a well-documented history of ownership and maintenance/restoration, this XK120 roadster warrants close attention from any enthusiast or admirer of the famous Jaguar marque.