Gables Service Station
1 July 2005
1952 BENTLEY MARK VI STANDARD STEEL SALOON
Registration No. MLX 407
Chassis No. B 52 NZ
Engine No. B26 N
Sand over sable with fawn cloth interior
Engine: six-cylinder in-line 4,257cc, overhead valve, 135bhp at 4,000rpm; Gearbox: four speed manual. Suspension: independent by coil springs and wishbones with lever arm hydraulic dampers to front, live axle with half-elliptic springs and adjustable lever arm hydraulic dampers to rear. Brakes: four wheel drum, hydraulically operated to front, mechanical with servo to rear; right hand drive.
Standard Steel Saloon 'B52 NZ’ was retailed new through London agents H.R. Owen Ltd. of Berkeley Street to nearby resident, R.H. Armstrong of 26 Old Brompton Road, SW7. Although delivered new in Dual grey livery on 13th December 1951, the car later received a change of colour to Cellar Blue, with the lower section Shell Grey in July 1956, by which time it had moved from London to E. Foster of E.Hind (Southbank) Ltd., Middlesborough. It must have undergone another full change of livery to the present scheme some years later, prior to its sale into the Sharpe family collection.
Today, the Bentley is in need of a comprehensive restoration, following many years of barn storage, and visibly requires attention to its bodywork amongst other aspects.
It is sold with copies of the original factory records, but no supporting registration documentation.
Contact Client Service
New York +1 212 636 2000
London +44 (0)20 7839 9060
Asia +852 2760 1766
No VAT will be charged on the hammer price, but VAT at 17.5% will be added to the buyer's premium, which is invoiced on a VAT inclusive basis.
What leading art, technology and finance specialists said at the inaugural Art +Tech Summit at Christie’s in London
From Connecticut to Kent in southeast England, homes with links to such classic works as Desire under the Elms, Lord of the Flies and The Deep Blue Sea